Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Best GDS April Fool's Prank Ever!


Day before yesterday, March 30, Gaston Day parent Beth Jarman dropped off her son Alton in the Lower School drop-off, and then pulled over and rolled down her window to tell me the following. Beth is married to my first cousin-once removed Jay Jarman. So we know each other outside school.

Here was her story. She had just gotten her haircut a few days ago and attended son Henry's middle-school baseball game at the Frances Henry Field the night before. Several children and adults at the game mistook her for Rebekah Bing. Beth didn't really know Rebekah, who is my executive administrative assistant, but now, after being called Mrs. Bing so many times, she found out who Rebekah was. End of story.

Rebekah Bing
(l to r): Rebekah Bing & Beth Jarman
Guess what. With Beth's new haircut, she and Rebekah really do look a lot alike! In fact, they could almost be twins!

After carpool, I went in to my office and told Rebekah about Beth's story of mistaken identity. We both had a good laugh. I didn't think anything more about the whole matter until the next morning, once again in Lower School carpool drop-off. As Beth turned in ---yes, I know all your cars--it occurred to me that it would be a great prank to switch out Rebekah and Beth at school, and see if Beth could fool people at Gaston Day. Then--like a gift from the Universe--it dawned on me that it was the day before April Fool's day. The timing was perfect!!

I pitched my idea to Beth in the carpool line right then. She was all in. Next I presented the same thing to Rebekah. She was immediately very excited and took the plan and ran with it. Rebekah and Beth schemed and coordinated. Here was what they devised and carried out today. Rebekah had two identical athletic shirts and masks. She and Beth dressed just alike and wore their hair the same way. Rebekah sent all the top GDS administrators a message from me telling them to pick up an important document at the front desk this morning. Beth came in about 9 am today. Rebekah hid in my office. I ran an errand because I was so excited that I thought I might blow their cover if I stayed. 

We set up hidden cameras. We had Melissa Fayssoux in on the joke. She sat in the office and answered any tough questions that came up as a part of casual conversation. Beth, in her Rebekah Bing disguise, handed out the envelopes with a message inside that told each recipient that they had been April Fool pranked and to come back in 45 minutes to learn more. In came the administrators, one at a time to pick up their envelopes from me. Some of them figured out that Beth was an impostor immediately. Some of them figured it out after about 15 seconds! Some of them never figured it out!! All of this is captured on video!!!

We all had so much fun!! After revealing our prank to the administration, Beth and Rebekah walked around the school and messed with people's minds. One would say "hey" to someone, and then the other would follow behind twenty yards and do the same thing. The confusion and double takes were hilarious. 

I hope Gaston Day will always be a place that laughs a lot, and does not take itself to seriously. We sure did today. Best GDS April Fool's prank ever!! 

Are you really sure that was Mrs. Bing you were talking to today?